Wednesday 2 November 2022

sofi thanhauser

at last i appear to be on the mend but still keeping myself diverted with podcastery! on from monday's guardian vid and the subsequent post on circular design, i found myself, again, listening to garmology via well dressed dad, but this time with sofi thanhauser talking about her book worn - a people's history of clothing. 

so far, so fascinating. i'm unconvinced with the (to me) reductive nature of all the identity shenanigans whirling about at the moment which (to me) seem like an inevitable product of late capitalism rather than any move to actual equality. thanhauser upends all of this by looking at objects rather people and the processes by which they arrive, and in doing so achieves the neat trick of an intersectionality (sic! lol) between capital, colonialism, exploitation, forced labour, climate, identity etc.

and again, i'm really grateful, again, for my brief island childhood and the appreciation it gave me for not wasting anything, being able to fix things and knowing where they came from.

No comments: