Saturday 12 January 2008

fernando pessoa

It's raining. there is silence, since the rain itself

It's raining. There is silence, since the rain itself
Allows no sound but peacefulness.
It's raining. The sky's asleep. when the soul's been
widowed
From what it cannot tell, feeling's blind.
It's raining. My self (who I am) I take leave of...

The rain is so peaceful it loosens itself in the air
(Not even seeming cloudy) so that it seems
It's not a rain but a whispering
Which in its whispering forgets itself.
It's raining. Nothing to long for...

The re's no wind hovering, there's no sky I feel.
It's raining far away and imperceptibly,
Like something true that lies to us,
Like something overwhelming wish deceiving us.
It's raining. Nothing in me feels...

trans Edwin Honig and Susan M Brown

No comments: