Tuesday 29 January 2008

and then the german

and as i reorient myself from all the alcohol i realise it's time to be applying for a new job. after last years canadian debacle i'm looking at a number working for the eu. in germany! i'm well qualified for it and language wise i need two of english, french and german. my french is rusty but not so rusty i couldn't get it pretty silky over my notice period. my german on the other hand....

my dad speaks german. you should learn he'd always said. and i've meant to, especially over the last ten years but when you live in a monolingual country it's hard enough maintaining the languages you do speak. but i'm keen. munich i'm thinking, that'll be handy. getting to read celan, goethe, all those guys in the original, i'm liking that.

until i realise i need to speak all three. and that's the end of that. i'm not happy...

1 comment:

Marion McCready said...

I'm trying to learn Hebrew, I've even found a local Jewish woman to teach me which is no mean feat in Argyll, I need to be disciplined and put down the poetry books tho if I'm going to get anywhere