Friday 4 December 2009

he crashes, he breaks!

i've been neglecting the mountain bike of late. not only has the weather been rubbish but, as i;ve said before, i've no upcoming races etc coming up so little motivation to drag myself out in the cold and wet. i've been out on the road bike a couple of times, neglected the trainer.

and got fat......

which won't do. so off today to destination x. it's been a bit frosty so i'm hoping for a bit of bone in the ground but unfortunately no. my less environmentally conscious bike compatriots, coupled with horses and at least one motocross bike have, in conjunction with the rain, annihilated large bits of the trails. annoying.

but at least it's a big bit of forest. off i go down my favourite fast bit, not too fast as it's chewed up, but fast enough. out of practice tho. sure enough i sink my wheel into something, brake (why? why? why!?) and next thing i know i'm head butting a log. then all the feeling returns and i cant say i'm happy about it beyond having sensation and movement and nothing obviously broken. i look up. i do this when i'm post-crash, let the soreness wash over me, take a breath look up. there's the trees. it's a wonderful thing to see them from this angle, the perspective, the blue sky, the lack of sound beyond the swish, swish of the branches, the slow creaking of the trunks.

best back on the bike before i get too cold. no more crashes.

at least tonight i'll be able to avoid the ignominy of having to use a stick to walk but my walking isn't pretty. my head hurts and my chest feels like someone's hit me with a bat. fortunately there's nothing super obvious as yet or i'd be hearing about it from t. but still. i don't, these days, crash that often and no matter what happens at work today (friday, hurrah!) some part of me is still with those trees.....

7 comments:

sarah said...

oh no! feel better soon!

I know what you mean - some part of me is always out there with the trees.

Niamh B said...

I guess you exchanged atoms with the log during the crash... hope you feel well very soon!

Titus said...

Yikes swiss, get mended too.

I'll stick with competitive lounging.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Apart from the pain that crash sounds almost zen like in it's ethereal appeal.

swiss said...

it was the zen calm before the storm!

Roxana said...

but how could one not admire someone who gets a crash like that and the only thing he can think of is to contemplate the blueness of the sky? :-)
though i was hoping for one of the legendary ironical t-remarks at the end of the post :-P

Marion McCready said...

competitive lounging lol