Monday 7 May 2012

lysandros pitharos

Green Line

I can’t see this green line.
Textures are more useful,
like the crevice this finger traces around your masks
and the damp breath of those still alive
and the theatre of sighs,
as we post our condemnation to various presidents,
the acrid envelope’s lip.

And sometimes our little towns are quiet
and only flags flutter as tributes to the silence,

And I poke my tongue
into the hole of history
and wriggle my toes in the damp sand, beyond the cafeteria,
and observe that I can’t see this green line, I just can’t see it.

I can only see gold,
and the eyes of my people blacker than embers,
and the strong smell of their lovemaking,
and secrets which they say nestle in their breasts,
standing like monoliths looking toward the sea,
saying nothing
as if they are chanting.

2 comments:

Totalfeckineejit said...

Fine poem Swiss.

swiss said...

aye, t's an interesting take on something i don't know a whole lot about