Wednesday 8 June 2011

amergin

Amergin’s Charm

I am a stag : of seven times,
I am a flood : across a plain,
I am a wind : on a deep lake,
I am a tear : the Sun lets fall,
I am a hawk : above the cliff,
I am a thorn : beneath the nail,
I am a wonder : among flowers,
I am a wizard : who but I
Sets the cool head a flame with smoke?

I am a spear : that roars for blood,
I am a salmon : in a pool,
I am a lure : from paradise,
I am a hill : where poets walk,
I am a boar : ruthless and red,
I am a breaker : threatening doom,
I am a tide : that drags to death,
I am an infant : who but I
Peeps from the unhewn dolmen arch?

I am the womb : of every holt,
I am the blaze : on every hill,
I am the queen : of every hive,
I am the shield : for every head,
I am the tomb : of every hope.


trans robert graves

No comments: