Monday 17 June 2024

eduardo galeano


 one of the book groups i'm on in my socials has an unfortunate habit of repeatedly asking for the 'best' translation, to which my answer is always - how would you know? unless you can read in the original. which is an activity, these days, i'm gravitating more and more towards. i'm not there yet in all my target languages but it's an activity i'd massively recommend as the text opens up in a way that's just not possible otherwise. plus not only do you get a better feel for the original btu you see directly into the choices and style of the translator. it's very satisfying!

anyway, my reading of the moment is eduardo galeano's book of embraces, i love galeano and, as my spanish gets better, he's ideal for reading practice. and my spanish gets better! 

No comments: